Tuesday 18 March 2008

f00s

Working with incompetent colleagues is not a totally bad thing. For me, making the transition from a mechanic to certifyer was always a daunting task in my mind. But for me purely because the certifyers I worked with were always some of the best the industry had. All of them even if they didn't know the answers to a problem knew roughly where it might lay and where to start looking. Basically they always had some sort of an answer. And they always had a confidence about them, the sort that never gave you a hint of doubt about their diagnosis. And their work was about as good as you could ever get.

No surprise when this outfit started going sour, they jumped ship without missing a beat, back into other great paying jobs in the industry. Which leaves newbies like me stuck here to try learn with what little we have. And 1 of the guys I work with who has that air of I'm-so-fuckin-good. Turns out a lil less than great. As every time a problem gets tossed his way he always has this clueless pause. And then ends up taking the kind of steps I would. Not wrong steps, but after working which the aforementioned guys I always expected more of certifyer. And then there are times when he gets stumped at a problem. And in the back of my mind something vaguely remembered from a classroom pops up and I suggest it. He barely even acknowledges me. Then sometime later it turns out my diagnosis turns out to be correct. Cause by then he doesn't recall my suggestion. Then there are times I spot something I would grade as a lil anomalous but he assures me is all fine and normal, then proceedes to release the aircraft. Only to have a call 30mins later with an irate pilot reporting a defective system.

If anything working with such incompetents has boosted my own confidence. I've never really rated myself as anywhere close to good. But working with these people has made me realise there are a lot worse people out there. And thou I still do not grade myself as good yet. Maybe if I keep on, and keep trying my best to learn. One day I would be considered not half bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home