Monday 14 January 2008

No effort required


Nearly walked outta work today. I woke up late, not surprising since the past month or so I've been used to waking up at around midday. But anyway I rush in to work and receive the kind of yelling at one remembers from school. They played on about the fact I was late yesterday and now today. I explained that yesterday it was cos the flight was late and how was that my fault. I tried to press home the fact at least I turned up by saying,

"Hey I made an effort, I didn't stop I came straight in after my flight, I was awake for 30hours or so but still made the effort to come into work as soon as I could. Could have easily just stayed at home and rested. Figured that some effort was better than none at all."

Their replies, the both of em, was "Shouldn't have bothered coming in yesterday. No point putting in any effort if you are gonna be late."

I was almost stumped for words at their reply and asked for a reconfirmation of their statement. "So you rather me make no effort at all then regarding yesterday."

"yes", was their short and simple answer. Was so close to saying well I'll head home to bed now then seeing as I only put in some effort by getting in late. But probably best doing what I did and just walking of and starting work. Fuckers...

Well that I'm reading as the go ahead to not put any effort into any of my work if I can't get it all 100% then...

Get the feeling that anything that goes wrong or is not right in anything I do it's my fault. Airline has no spare parts, I can't do the job, their answer, he's lazy. I can't carry 6 engineers in a car with 2 seats, their answer, he wants to waste time driving around. I can't complete repairs in time cos the aircraft is totally FUBAR and people keep "borrowing" my equipment and I'm on my own, their answer, he's incompetent. The last one probably the scenario for todays later events.

Was supposed to lubricate all the hinges and actuator moving parts on the aircraft tail. I started it in the morning at8 but it was still only 50% complete at 6pm. I contribute the following factors for the delay. Close to an hour to locate not broken air hoses so I could use air tools. Around 70% of the screws being seized in the holes, thus requiring to be drilled out or some other removal process.3 instances of drill bits getting broken off in the drilled hole(done by the companies listed metal worker, not me), being hardened steel they can't be drilled out, instead the screw head has to be ground off. The guys who own the lifting equipment coming in at 1pm to demand their stuff back for close to 2 hours, how am I supposed to work on something 20 meters in the air without lifting equipment? Also working alone for half the job. Add the fact it rained, monsoon style for an hour and work does not provided wet weather gear,plus I don't feel safe standing in a bucket 20 meters up in the torrential wind and rain with no safety harness. And toward the end of the shift(after 530pm) working in the dark. Those are the reasons I couldn't complete it all in time,thou I'm sure they didn't see it that way. Sure they forget the fact that everybody dodged the job at the start of the check because they knew it would be difficult and left it till the very last shift. Seeing which poor sod ended up with it rather than deal with it themselves.

The "master" said I could have done the job faster if someone sat in the cockpit and held the tail's position to maximum right then no panels need to be removed to do the lubrication. I had to explain to him yes that work work for lubricating the hinges but how could you access the actuators,which are sealed in the tail? How is he the #1 on shift when he can't think that out? Also had to ask him if there was the locking tool to hold the tail in the right position, rather than have someone hold it in that position. He said they didn't have that tool here. Well no way in hell am I putting my hands in the dependence of someone holding their right leg straight on the control pedals for 30mins. The moment their leg gets tired and buckles, that hydraulic tail surface will have no problem severing my hand as I work away at the hinge. Bear in mind the guy making these suggestions is the same guy who today moved the tail's control surface around for a good few minutes while I was next to it. Nearly knocking me off the tail, falling 20meters to a painful end. Then asked me if it was ok. Surely you ask 1st then you go ahead not vice versa. Suppose he never noticed the warning tags I placed on all over the cockpit that I was on the tail...

Had a worrying reminder about our comments not to fly this airline. Everyone had said it so often to everyone they met that it seemed to be getting to a jokey saying. But today Was reminded it was deadly true. One of their aircraft had come in from Paris with a fault... One of the engines thrust reverser's had deployed while the plane took off. To reiterate, that is one engine wanting to push the plane backward while the others want to go forwards,whilst the plane is in the air. Don't think I need to explain how that is unsafe. That exact incident has caused the loss of a couple of aircraft to date. No survivors on either crash I believe. What made it more worrying to me was the wife and me had flown on that exact plane once before...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home