Saturday 10 November 2007

D'oh

Seems to be turning into more of a work related blog than a personal blog. Maybe cos my life is so dull compared to work, or maybe I have no life other than work. Make of it what you will.

Was put in an uncomfortable spot whilst at work today. Was sent to the terminal to receive an aircraft that had just landed and hand a few items to the pilots. After I had done the afore mentioned task, the purser (senior flight attendant) came up to me and asked if I was part of the engineering lot. I said yes and he asked me if "this" was normal. He showed me a 6 inch gap between the galley and the door frame where there was nothing, you could see insulation foam, wires and the aircraft fuselage. Reeling stunned but not being allowed to recover he dragged me off and showed me 1st class and posed the same question. And at one of the seats, the floor in front of it was devoid of any carpet! Just a bare floor board! He then demanded to know why it was sent off on a flight in such a state and why it was allowed and what we were going to do about it. I found it very difficult to answer as I really din't want to reply with the truthful answer of, "No point pounding me for answers, I'm just the bottom of the pile monkey boy. I'm told less than shit". I just told him that I shall call my boss now and he will sort it out. And when I say sort it, I mean he will most probably run to another plane rip out the bits needed and fit them to this plane. Cos then the complaint will be dealt with and this plane will be fine, the other plane the bits were stolen from however will be another issue to be dealt with later.

I can just see how this all came about too. Person "A" reconstructed the cabin. Certifier person "B" asks Person "A" is it done? Person "A" says yes. Person "B" doesn't even bother to double check the task and releases the plane to service. OK maybe person "B" trusts person "A" a great deal and hence doesn't feel he need to check his work. But come on everyone has a bad day, forgets things, makes mistakes. So its only in safety's sake that a double check is done. I always prefer it when my work is double checked. Stops me freaking out if an incident were to ever occur. I've seen if happen to others and I don't want that level of worry running thru my mind.

Oh yeah also just started noticing 1 of the "star" certifiers has started having the Filipinos addressing him as Master. Yes Master, jobs done Master, here you go Master, etc. Bearing in mind this is the same "star" who started up an engine today for a dry run while 1 of the guys was working away inside it. And even after I yelled down the radio to the cockpit about it all. He just carried on as thou nothing happened. Just as well the poor chap on the engine managed to jump/ fall out of the running engine. Thing is HE never even apologised. Never happened as far as HE was concerned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home