Wednesday 22 October 2008

B'overed?!? Nah not really...

Starting to realise how the attitude to my chosen profession is starting to change. When I started off, like all newbies, I was keen as mustard. I'd work on anything with wings and an engine. Starting off on small single seater aerobatics and the odd 4 seater composite. Few months later I was lucky enough to move on to the big ones. Granted they were 30 year old planes but they were jets and they were big. That was all I was concerned with. Happy as you like, I was.

But whenever a newer jet was brought in to be worked on and I didn't get a look in, it was kind of a slap in the face. Really fought to get mechanic time on those newer jets. Doing anything. It didn't matter what. Lubrication, panel removal, toilet tank draining, changing the wheels. Really didn't care. Just happy to work on a modern jet.

Now several years down the line I finally have my license and am qualified on 3 types of aircraft as well as several of their variants. And things have changed some what. At the current place I'm at, was recently asked to work on a plane which I was not qualified on. Supporting as a non qualified certifyer. Where as once, I would have jumped at it. Now I have no interest. Not no interest in a; I'm lazy kinda way. More of a; I really cannot be bothered kinda way. For some reason, even thou getting working experience on that plane could qualify me to apply for a qualification course on that plane later in the future, for some reason I really had no interest.

Really can't explain why. Doesn't make sense. More qualifications on more aircraft, means more job opportunities, means more money. Where did I lose my interest in planes? And more to the point. Where did I lose interest in the potential to grab more cash? Have I become too settled at where I am in my job?

Reason I believe is my move away from the tools. Being a certifyer and just telling people to do things and not experiencing the joy of taking stuff to bits, lugging up and down great bits of metal, even getting pissed on by various carcinogenic fluids had a charm all of their own. Being away from the intimacy of my mechanical love affair is starting to kill the love for what I do. Being forced away from the tools is slowly turning all planes to just another thing with wings and engines in my eyes. Boring and monotonous. No longer the mammoth wonder of human innovation they once were to me. Sigh... I just miss working with my hands... something not many out here will be able to sympathise with.

For now the logical push for money is holding my enthusiasm for working on other types of planes. Sadly that'll have to do as I think overall, my interest for planes is waining.

1 Comments:

Blogger anto said...

Sorry to read that, it's kinda why I wanted to stay where I was. Its why I left Germany, just another piece of a big engine that I stare at.
Things are the same here, the wannabe iron fist is still trying to bluff it. Alex has left the building but I'm sure u know, didn't come clean like you so didn't get screwed.
Say hi to Jimbo and saz.
Missing U guys

Ants

3 November 2008 at 23:28  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home