Thursday 6 November 2008

Gentle words

Today was an eye opener as to how people can get. Well just 1 really. It was also a good case study on how not to motivate people. To be honest for all the faults this place has, it still has its own pace and rhythm. Not a very fast 1 mind, thou with the right strings pulled it can be sped up a lil. And conversely with alot of yelling and rudeness it can sure as hell run alot slower.

Last week and this week at work has been a how to do it right session followed by a how not to session. Last week guys pulled out the stops to get the plane fixed. Sure it departed a lil late but all the serious issues had been dealt with. And everyone left work totally knackered but that was pretty much it. This week issues are being dealt with rather questionably and people are leaving work frustrated and pissed off.

Saying classic quotes such as,
"I'm not forcing you guys to stay back but I want 1 of you here till its finished"
(while someone was helping out) " Come on HURRY UP, stop wasting my time"
"My plan is to get the plane for engine runs tomorrow, that is my plan. I don't want you guys fucking my plan up"
"if they finish late (2am) I still expect to see them in the morning (730am), minimum rest period, no such thing, get them in"

Being rude is 1 thing, doing a questionable job is something else. Quotes like,
"some sand paper and paint over the top and it will be ok"
"I don't care what you do, just get it done"
" (regarding the fault) don't raise a rectification task for it, just leave it"
"why did you raise a defect card, you aren't supposed to inspect that area"

I write my blogs assuming that they will be read. I'm not silly enough to believe that who ever I am blogging about will never read it. If you are reading, please take this a subtle nudge. A little courtesy and civil mindedness can take you a long way. You might be amazed what a lil please and thank you can achieve. Also when you start steering your actions to falling in line with the wishes of management and not the safety of those who fly on your planes, you have to start considering if you are really in the correct job. Aircraft manufacturer inspections and tasks are in place for a reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home