Sunday 11 November 2007

Frustration

New day new stress. Here's how the 1st half of my day ran.

Received task. 3 wheels change . Went to the computer room to print out the maintenance manual. Can't, coz the only 2 computers were all occupied. So went to get 3 wheels from stores. Back to comp room, got the print outs. Went to get tools. Found out I needed 8 split pins. Went to comp room to refer to the parts manual. Can't, coz the computers were occupied again. Went to jack up plane. Can't, no jack. Drove to another part of the airport to borrow a jack. Drove back. Now got into the comp room and got the part numbers off the parts manual. Went order parts from materials man. Can't, coz he was busy. Skipped to jacking up the plane. Went order parts from materials man again. Can't, power cut, computers are dead. Back to removing a wheel. Wheel removed. Tried ordering split pins again from materials. Can't, was told all split pins have been sent back to home base in Europe. Proceed to hunt down people who could have some split pins sitting spare. Finally got pins. Installed wheels. Cant, the torque wrench broke as I torqued up the wheel nut. Went to tool store and got a new working torque wrench. Can't, whole operation here had only 1 Torque wrench! Proceed to hunt for torque wrench. Found an old one. Proceeded to torque up wheel nut. Wheel finally changed. Just 2 more to go...

Bear in mind a wheel normally takes 2 people to change. Also these things are in excess of 100kg, up to 250kg. So try to imagine working on your own with 3 of them. Add to it what I just described. Any surprises it took me 8 hours to do?

On another note, while doing a task I asked for a quick hand from 1 of the guys. HE came over, helped and then got back to his own job. A lil while later he comes back and points out I made a mistake in my task. I check out his findings an find he is right. So I admitted, my bad and go about amending my mistake. Then 15mins later the supervisor appears and asks me if I have rectified my mistake. Now is it just me being awkward or do I have a right to be pissed off with that guy? I mean what the hell man. I make a mistake, I admitted it,took his directions and fixed my faults. Is there any reason to blab to the management? Just strikes me as a guy out to point out others short-comings, so he comes out in a better light.

Then later on in the shift, supervisor is pressuring me to get the plane out of the hanger so the next plane can come in, cos he was eager to start work on it and the new plane has been sitting there waiting for us to leave for the past 3 hours. But several people are still working on the plane. But yet he's bugging me no end and really putting on the pressure to get us out. So when I finally do get the plane out, the new plane zips straight in taking our place. Good I thought, finally he's gonna be off my back. I came back from sending my plane off to the terminal building to see the new plane in the hanger but not a person in sight. I then learnt from "P" that my supervisor "doesn't really want to start work" on the new plane despite 2hours left of our shift. Can you imagine my mood when I heard that. 1st he busts my balls to get the plane out so he can start work on the new one. and when I did as he demanded, he totally changed his mind and no longer wants to work. So what was the point of me making all the efforts to meet his demands?

Not much wonder why I am disinterested, unmotivated and depressed at work when the above is a typical day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home