Thursday 13 November 2008

Swings 'n round-a-bouts

Spent the past week at a different maintenance base. Came to the reality that it is just where I am stationed that is so frustratingly lazy. Out where I currently am it certainly isn't as busy as everywhere else I have worked. Thou, that can be a nice thing. But more pleasingly, the mechanics actually get a job and carry it out. Not at top speed, but its better than the whining, bitching and bickering I've been getting at my permanent base.

Only real shame is this place is nearer the center of the city so traffic is a killer. I spend twice as long on the commute and twice as much on fuel. Plus this current place has a shorter working day and expects you to work Saturday. So basically the hours are the same but you only really get 1 day off. BIG downer.

So here is the trade offs. Pig lazy mechs, annoying boss but shorter commute, 4 toll road charges per day but less working days and more hours per day. Or good working mechs, reasonably peaceful surroundings, no toll roads, but longer drive in, 6 day working week and less hours per day. Pros n cons. Annoyingly they are both pretty squarely balanced. So for now prob just easier to go where ever the wind blows.

Did realise recently thru a chat with "J" that. The essence of our job is essentially as it is now. Looking at an Aircraft and finding faults with it, find out how to fix it, order the parts and set the mechanics on it. It will be a once in a blue moon thing to pick up the tools again as I did. Don't matter where I go. My essential job will be as such. Great job for alot of people I know. Stay reasonably clean and get paid a good wage. But still maintain that nothing beats working with your own hands and your own tools. Some things money can't replace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home